- The Bulkley River is a major tributary of the world famous Skeena River system.
- From Houston to Hazelton, BC, it flows over eighty miles of fishable water. At Hazelton, it joins the Skeena River and travels to Prince Rupert, BC, where the Skeena empties into the Pacific Ocean.
- We fish many different areas of the Bulkley River by jet boat, searching for fish.
- Jet boats are used for transportation only and fish are caught by wading and casting.
- Maxwell Steelhead Guides have fished and guided on this river for over thirty years.
A Typical Fishing Day on the Bulkley River…
Our fishing days are usually Sunday through Friday… 6 days …with Saturday as a turnover day. However, we are flexible and can accommodate anglers who wish to start on either Saturday or Monday, if we have the available space.
Anglers are advised to arrive early if possible. You may arrive but your luggage may not. The next flight arrival will cost you a half day of fishing. Please be aware that weekend flights especially may be booked full and worse, it they are fully booked, your luggage may not arrive at the same time as you do!
Licenses are not available from us. Licenses are available online and from the two fly shops in Smithers. Get your license on the web before you arrive. They can be purchased online at… www.fishing.gov.bc.ca
You need your Angler Number to purchase your licenses. If you haven’t fished in British Columbia before this system came into use, then you will be given an Angler Number. Keep it in a safe place.
Your day with Maxwell Steelhead Guides on the Bulkley River…
- We will pick you up in the morning, typically between 7:00 – 8:00 AM and we should be on the water fishing by 9:00 AM… depends on how far we travel to put in the water.
- We provide shore lunches, coffee, soft drinks, juices, etc. If you have any special requests as to what you eat and drink, we will do our best to accommodate them. Feel free to bring snacks, drinks, etc. No liquor allowed on the river!
- We use state-of-the-art jet boats on the river for transportation only which gives us the ability to go upriver as well as downriver. We fish two (2) anglers per guide. The boats have lots of storage room, so bring extra clothes and fishing gear with you.
- Although the Bulkley River is a fishing and wading dream, we are concerned with the safety of our anglers, our boats and ourselves at all times. We will not go to dangerous areas or fish our anglers in water that is unsuitable for them. Life jackets are provided, but if you have a personal flotation device, feel free to bring it.
- Our day lasts until 5:00 – 5:30 PM. Later in the season, we are off the water at 5:00 PM due to fading light conditions.
- We take you back to the motel at the end of the day where you can relax and choose your restaurant.
- If you plan to leave on the last day of fishing, please advise us early as this can cut short your fishing partner’s day or your own.
Fishing & Wading Conditions…
- We use state-of-the-art jet boats for transportation. All fishing is done from shore.
- While the wading is not difficult on the Bulkley, be prepared to do some wading… felt soles, wading belts and wading staffs provide a measure of safety. We gauge the wading and casting abilities of our anglers, and select suitable water for them to fish… we don’t take unnecessary chances with safety.
- Even the guides have to get into shape for steelheading… the physical exertion of a full day on the water can tire even the most fit person. Get into shape before you come, in order to get the most enjoyment from your fishing. Do some casting with the heavier rods to get your arm in shape… or bring lots of pain killers.
MAXWELL Steelhead Guides… come and fish with the experts!