WHO ARE MAXWELL STEELHEAD GUIDES? Denise and Mike Maxwell started fishing and guiding on the Bulkley River over thirty years ago. Their program is based on teaching, service, professionalism, hard work and respect for their clients. Maxwell Steelhead Guides work to give their anglers the best opportunity to catch world famous steelhead using both dry flies and wet flies, single or double-handed. While Mike is no longer alive, the foundation they created together lives on.
- Denise is the owner/operator of Maxwell Steelhead Guides.
- She is the licensed guide. Her classified water days allow her to guide only on the Bulkley River.
- Denise is the longest license-holding guide on the river.
- First woman to hold a steelhead guide’s license in British Columbia.
- She has guided and fished on the river for over thirty years.
- Former World Champion Distance & Accuracy fly caster.
- Holds degrees in both Biology and Education. She is active today in teaching fly fishing, fly casting and instructor’s schools.
- Denise is considered a master caster in both single-handed and double-handed casting.
- She volunteered for many years in advancing fly casting instructor qualifications and travelled the world to promote that.
Fishing with the MAXWELLS…
- Maxwell Steelhead Guides offers guided steelhead fishing trips. Maxwell Steelhead Guides is not a lodge and does not provide accommodation or meals, other than shore lunches.
- We fish many different sections of the Bulkley River and many of the same waters as the premium lodges and other guide services.
- This arrangement reduces the cost to the angler considerably even though they are providing their own evening meals.
- Smithers is a ski and tourist town and provides excellent accommodation at very reasonable prices. This reduces the cost of the total package by about one-third when compared to our competitors. It also provides anglers will the freedom to stay where they want and eat where they want.
- Smithers is reached by regular airline service several times a day. We provide all fishing transportation and access the river with state-of-the-art Wooldridge jet boats.
- While our fishing day is in a relative wilderness situation, we are close to civilization. This includes hospitals, doctors, telephones, airports, etc. Many people do not feel comfortable or wish to be in an isolated situation.
- We enjoy working with accomplished steelheaders… we also enjoy providing beginners with coaching of their casting and fishing for steelhead …if they wish.
- Denise has been guiding and fishing on the Bulkley River for over thirty years. Together with her staff, they work hard at making your trip a success.
- Our assistant guides are excellent fishermen and guides… they can guide you into catching some world class wild steelhead with some expert instruction in both casting and fishing.
If you wish to find out more about steelhead fishing with us, please call 604.945.9002 or send email for available dates, fishing conditions, etc. We look forward to putting you into some fine steelhead on the Bulkley River!
Come and fish with the Maxwells on the Bulkley River.
MAXWELL Steelhead Guides… come and fish with the experts!